With school ending and summer starting, it’s a perfect time to catch up on all of your reading. That’s why we’ve been rounding up the most informative and relevant WordPress, Magento, and ExpressionEngine articles that we’ve come across during the last month. Here’s the best of May. Enjoy your summer reading!
WordPress and Blogging
- Using Polls To Increase Engagement On WordPress Sites – Bloggers, whether they are creating content for personal or corporate reasons, employ a number of methods for encouraging and tracking user interaction. Page visits are a great metric for assessing a blog’s reach, but a lot of information falls between the cracks if such broad factors are the only source of information.
- WordPress Increases its Domination of the Top 100 Blogs – WordPress is strengthening its position as the dominating blogging platform or Content Management System (CMS) used by the world’s top 100 blogs.
- From Blobs to Chunks: Structured Content in WordPress – As the folks at CERN recently celebrated, it was twenty years ago that the core technologies and standards of the world wide web (including code for a web server and a line-mode client) were officially placed in the public domain.
- 30+ Retro WordPress Themes – Outdated But Seriously Trendy – With WordPress retro themes you can quickly setup a retro style website that stands out from the competition. Retro web design is really popular right now and you may wonder why.
- Post Format History And WordPress 3.6 – While WordPress 3.6 is almost ready for release, one of the features that is already generating a love/hate relationship is the new Post Formats UI.
- 5 Best WordPress Image Plugins – While WordPress stands way ahead of anyone else as the world’s most popular content management system, it is often the case that bloggers and website owners can get much more out of it by using a range of plugins to enhance the site and the reader’s experience. Of the plugins available, image related ones tend to be the most popular, especially for sites that are reliant on visual features and the variety of content rather than just a deluge of text.
- Tips And Tricks For Testing WordPress Themes – Whether you offer free or premium themes, testing should be a major part of your development process. By planning in advance, you can foster a development environment that deters some bugs by design and that helps you prevent others. The aim of this article is to share some of the tricks I use personally during and after development to achieve a bug-free product.
- Become a Better Blogger and Writer in 7 Easy Steps – If you don’t create it, there’s nothing to be found. And you do want to be found right? This is a follow up from The Emergency and Explosion of Blogs, Blogging, and Bloggers. The numbers don’t lie and they tell an even more compelling story for the future.
- 10 ExpressionEngine Themes You Should Consider to Try – Whether you want to establish an online business or just a personal blog, a good, powerful website theme is necessary in order to meet the capabilities needed without doing a daunting task. ExpressionEngine, an open-source PHP framework, is one of the popular CMS which establish its own power to dominate the online world.
- ExpressionEngine Add-ons we use on Every Install – Recently we were asked what some of our “go to” add-ons are for ExpressionEngine. While we don’t subscribe to a “use all the add-ons all the time” mentality, there are a few that make their way into our installs more often than not. Below is a list and some reasons why.
- Why We Recommend ExpressionEngine for Your Business Website CMS – Are you a business looking for a new website or at least a way to easily update your website? Then you’ve probably already run into discussions on the value of a content management system (CMS).
Magento and eCommerce
- Factors Responsible for the Imminent eCommerce Growth Wave – It is natural that every etailer predicts future trends that fuel eCommerce growth. Some become successful in predicting the right trends while a few fail to do so. A healthy growth figure of eCommerce success can only be impacted by the integration of various strategies that can make online shopping more enjoyable and unique. However, these strategies are quick to implement.
- Morgan’s Magento Corner – Setting Up SSL In Magento – So I’ve officially become a Magento Geek and now that I’m using Magento on a daily basis, I thought I’d start a regular series on my blog, so welcome to Morgan’s Magento Corner. Sounds geeky? It is.
- “Magento Is not a Hobby Material” – an Interview with Guido Jansen – An exclusive interview with Guido Jansen. Every Magento Community member knows Guido as a passionate evangelist of this platform, organizer of annual Dutch “Meet Magento” and speaker at numerous Magento events all around the world.
- The Future of eCommerce – It’s very easy to get caught up in the operational side of our work lives focusing on the here and now. My inbox has daily updates from Internet Retailing UK, Internet Retailer USA, Practical eCommerce, eMarketer and Mobile Marketer just to name a few, and to be honest, of late I just delete them unless the title really grabs my attention as there is so much going on.
- How to Increase Online Sales for Your e-Commerce Website – “I miss the days when all you had to do was buy a $200 yellow page ad and the phone would ring off the hook.” We’ve heard this time and time again. Those were the days before these unbelievably useful and simple tools called search engines came along.
- 7 Factors to Keep in Mind While Choosing a Magento Development Company – Magento is a very popular ecommerce platform known for the range of features and functionalities it brings to the table, which guarantee a highly profitable ecommerce site. Magento ecommerce development is big business these days, on account of the platform’s popularity. Just about every company offering web development services calls itself a Magento expert but there is a huge difference between a claims being made and delivering services that come good on this claim.
- Road to Magento Certification – Here at DO I’ve been assigned the task of pursuing a Magento Certification. Being a Magento Certified Developer has its benefits as outlined in the official website. Here are a few highlights:
In honor of Commander Chris Hadfield returning from the International Space Station, here is the music video he shot in space.
Image Credit: goldsardine