The first half of 2013 is in the books. Before we look forward to the second half of the year, we should take a moment and enjoy all that the previous six months have brought us. As expected, June closed out what has already been a very strong year for WordPress, Magento, and ExpressionEngine content. Luckily for you, we’ve been collecting the most informative and interesting articles all month. Here’s the best we found. Enjoy the fireworks!
WordPress and Blogging
- Just Say No to Hackers: How to Harden Your WordPress Security – By now you’ve probably read about the recent massive botnet attacks on WordPress websites. While it’s true that WordPress core developers work hard to keep the WordPress platform safe, if you own or operate a WordPress website then you also have a responsibility to keep your site from being compromised.
- WooCommerce Democratises eCommerce — A True WordPress Child – The WordPress themes’ space has gotten quite crowed in the last few years. From ThemeForest to Elegant Themes, the competitors have boxed it out for dominance, or at least tried to establish their niche within the WordPress ecosystem.
- How to Use Blogging to Boost SEO – Blogging is a great way to meaningfully connect with your customers, share your expertise, raise your profile and increase your revenue. But of course, one of the main reasons businesses blog is to improve SEO. With a consistent approach, you can use your blog to boost your search engine rankings and perhaps even reach that elusive page one result
- Most Popular WordPress Plug-ins (Infographic) – One of the main reasons I love WordPress as a content management system and blogging platform is the availability of free plug-ins. While WordPress is an awesome platform to manage a web site right out of the box, plug-ins enhance user experience and site performance.
- 10 Plugins That I Install After I Install WordPress – People start looking for right plugins & themes right after setting up their blogs with WordPress as most people want a little more functionality than what is right out of the box. High quality plugins widen scope for success of a WP blog and site (but you already knew that). Thus, the research for credible plugins is required.
- 8 Superb Mobile WordPress Plugins – In order for a WordPress site to be successful, it must have a mobile presence. Many people search for sites through their mobile phones, and they are quickly becoming a resource for those who are on the go. In order to reach this audience, a WordPress site must be optimized for mobile devices.
- WordPress Themes – Free vs Premium vs Custom Made – Since WordPress is the most popular CMS, it is hardly surprising that tens of thousands of WordPress themes exist. New and new themes – free and paid – are released every day. Yet, if you want something really special, it might turn out your only option is to create it on your own.
- Developer Thoughts: Four Lessons We Learned While Creating our First WordPress Plugin – Building our first plugin wasn’t an entirely smooth process – anyone thinking of doing something similar should consider several things before they get started. Below are the lessons we picked up.
- The ExpressionEngine That Could – Anyone who has worked with Terrostar in the past probably knows that for years we have been utilizing a custom CMS that was developed in-house. Many of our clients still rely on it every day to manage their websites. The beauty of this product is that we have full control over all of the features and functionality. We know it inside and out. However, in our industry, technology changes fast.
- The Top 5 Paid ExpressionEngine Add-ons – We take a look at the top add-ons for ExpressionEngine in June 2013 to see if we can glean any information about the trends in the community and what we can expect to happen over the next few months.
- Building on Sand: Concerns w/ the Craft CMS License – EllisLab made a major announcment on Friday for ExpressionEngine 2.7, mainly that they will be releasing a new field-type called Grid that directly competes with a popular add-ons provided by Pixel and Tonic (who released their own CMS called Craft which competes with ExpressionEngine).
Magento and eCommerce
- eBay Extends GSI Fulfillment Service to Magento Merchants – In an exclusive interview with Magento founder Roy Rubin, now head of eBay’s X.commerce division, EcommerceBytes learned that Magento is integrating its technology with that of another eBay division, GSI Commerce.
- 5 Simple Ways to Decrease Shopping Cart Abandonment – As an online business owner, you no doubt spend a significant percentage of your marketing budget on attracting customers to your site and enticing them to browse your offerings. You know better than anyone that it’s a serious waste of your resources if they get frustrated with the checkout process and abandon their purchases.
- Study: Global Ecommerce Growing by 20 Percent Annually – According to a new study by ReportLinker.com, global business-to-consumer ecommerce is growing at a 20 percent rate each year. “The emergence of new online payment channels and development of alternative payment methods are expected to drive further growth,” according to the researchers.
- Top Magento Extensions for Better Ecommerce Sales – Magento is an expert open-source e-commerce solution that offers dealers control the look, substance and functionality of their online stores. Magento is an extremely effective tool offering adaptability for the admin. Its benefits are various and its unique template is free in light of the fact that it is open-source.
- 10 Excellent Responsive Magento eCommerce Themes – Are you looking to download some responsive Magento ecommerce themes? You are at perfect place as you can find 10 excellent responsive themes for your Magento based store in this blog. Today, Magento is one of the most popular ecommerce platforms that used by millions of people worldwide to develop a powerful e-store.
- 5 Useful Magento Extensions – Magento’s increasingly popular eCommerce platform provides a robust marketplace of Magento extensions that allow any website built on its framework to extend and enhance site functionalities.
- How to use Conversion Optimization to Battle Shopping Cart Abandonment – An Infographic – Lots of people come to us for landing page optimization, but there’s a great deal to be learned from shopping cart abandonment as well. Today we’re excited to release an infographic showing the major concerns and solutions to battling shopping cart abandonment. Here are a few core concepts we always find interesting:
This month, we’ll leave you with a fun video, “Super Mario – 3D Chalk Art (Time Lapse).”
Image Credit: bayasaaPosted in: Monthly Roundups