2014 is going to be a big year. eCommerce keeps getting more important, WordPress continues to expand its user base, and web design has become an integral part of every business’s online presence. With that in mind, we’ve been busy gathering up the best ExpressionEngine, WordPress, and Magento articles from January for your convenience. If you’d like more great content throughout the month, follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and Google+. Enjoy and let us know what you think in the comment section!
WordPress and Blogging
- Managing a Company Blog? The 10 Biggest Mistakes – And the Smartest Ways to Correct Them – Since exploding onto the scene a few years back, the term ‘blogging’ has grown to encompass much more than just keeping an online ‘journal’ for your friends to read. These days most websites have a blog of some sort – and often that will be what makes up the main bulk of the site.
- How To Choose The Perfect Niche For Your Blog – There’s a problem that I see bloggers make all the time. I’ve had the same problem in the past. That problem is choosing the wrong niche for your blog. There are a number of reasons why a particular niche or topic could be the wrong one.
- 12 Months of WordPress Optimization in 2014 – It’s January and you are already sick of resolutions and goals, right? Let’s not lump SEO into the same category as gym membership. I am going to outline one target goal for you to execute each month, so by next year at this time you will have some tangible achievements.
- Google Releases Its First Plugin For WordPress Publishers – Google released its first plugin for self-hosted WordPress sites today. Google Publisher is now in beta and available on WordPress.org. The WordPress community is invited to test it out.
- Optimize Your WordPress Blog Content with Google’s Markup Helper – If you’re blogging on WordPress and looking for an easy way to move your blog content higher up in search engine results pages (SERPs), schema is a great way to do it.
- Best WordPress Plugins: 54 Professionals Share Amazing Plugins To Inspire You – Are you using the best WordPress Plugins to get maximum benefit from your blog? There are so many WordPress Plugins to choose from and installing too many of them may result in conflicts, security issues and reduced speed.
- How To Import Posts & Pages From One WordPress Website To Another – Migrating content to another website is a dilemma that many WordPress users face at one time in their life. The act of copying specific posts and pages over to a new website involves copying table rows from one database to another.
- An Introduction to Theming WooCommerce for WordPress – WooCommerce is a popular eCommerce platform for WordPress that is being rapidly developed by WooThemes. In this article, I’m going to guide you through the fundamentals of theming for WooCommerce.
- ExpressionEngine – My Most Used Addons – There’s been a few ExpressionEngine developers write about their most used addons, I don’t want to feel left out so here’s mine…
- Escape from Parameter Hell – I’ve been doing a lot of interface design, of late. When first designing a system, it’s pretty easy to keep interfaces simple. It’s easy enough to write functions and methods such that they only need a few things.
Magento and eCommerce
- How Ecommerce Marketers Can Prepare For Online Sales Taxes – The lack of federal taxes has long been a built-in cost advantage for ecommerce companies. In addition to the many disruptive advantages of ecommerce over traditional brick-and-mortar (B&M) retail, the lesser tax burden has helped keep prices lower for online consumers.
- Creating Custom Shipping Methods In Magento – In this tutorial, we will use Magento’s powerful shipping-method code abstraction to create a shipping carrier. We will create three shipping methods that provide a fixed shipping price, allow for free shipping promotions, define logic based on an item’s weight and, finally, make it all configurable in the admin panel.
- 5 Easy Steps to Increase Magento Site Performance – Magento is a massive system with tons of files which can really slow your site down if not set up properly. There are plenty of ways that you can optimize your site to improve performance (optimized code, upgraded servers optimized for Magento, etc.).
- The Tipping Point (E-Commerce Version) – The news around shopping during the holiday season was dominated by two separate stories. One talked about how traffic to brick-and-mortar stores was well below expectations, and that these retailers were forced to discount tremendously to drive sales.
- 7 Wearables from CES and Their Impact on Ecommerce – Move over Google Glass, the arms (and ears, and neck, and head) race is on for wearable tech. Some will take off, others will flop. Which wearables will make their mark on ecommerce?
- Keren Aminia: “The Magento Community is Stronger than Ever” – 2014 has just begun and the entire Magento community is keen to know about Magento plans and strategic ideas for this year. We were curious to hear about the brightest upcoming events and new educational opportunities we can apply to study Magento deeply and extensively.
- 7 Simple Ways To Improve Your Magento Store in 2014 – 2014 is in its full play, that means it’s high time to set clear objectives and plan a winning SEO-content-marketing strategy to make your e-commerce business more powerful this year.
This month, we’ll leave you with one of the most epic YouTube videos ever, The Grand Rapids, Michigan LipDub.
Image via Flickr user: Brett NeilsonPosted in: Monthly Roundups