The big news story from April was the discovery of the OpenSSL Heartbleed bug. If you’re a Nexcess client, we got you covered on our end, but if you haven’t updated your passwords around the internet yet, it is time to get that done. Moving on to happier thoughts, May brings the Imagine Conference in Las Vegas. We hope to see many of you there and don’t forget to stop by to see our CEO Chris Wells speak. Getting to our roundup, we’ve gathered together the best ExpressionEngine, WordPress, and Magento posts from the last month. If you’d like more great content on a day-to-day basis, follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and Google+. Enjoy and let us know what you think in the comment section!
WordPress and Blogging
- What’s New in WordPress 3.9 – WordPress 3.9 arrived yesterday with lots of improvements and new features. At WPBeginner, we followed the development closely, and published an article about what’s coming in WordPress 3.9 with screenshots.
- How To: Customize HTML of New Getty Images for Your WordPress Blog – As we discussed last week, Getty Images recently opened up millions of its images for free usage. Coming from a professional stock photo website, this is a phenomenal step and one that will be greatly appreciated by thousands of bloggers all over the world.
- The Best WordPress Plugins That Everyone Should Be Using – With over thirty thousand WordPress plugins listed in the official WordPress plugin directory alone, it is no surprise that WordPress users are a little unsure about what plugins they should be using.
- Why the Web Still Matters for Writing – This week Twitter was abuzz with the most recent report from Flurry that showed people spending most of their time on mobile using apps, not the browser.
- 8 Things To Consider When Choosing A WordPress Theme For Your Blog – So, you’ve been tasked with setting up your first WordPress blog. You’ve chosen a blog name and chosen your voice and topic (and all the other things I mentioned in my “setting up your first blog” post in February) – so now it’s time to choose a theme for your blog.
- 11 Great WordPress Plugins for Designers – WordPress is both the world’s most popular blogging platform and the widest used Content Management System (CMS).
- 7 Really Annoying Things About WordPress (and How to Fix Them) – If you’re reading this blog, you’re probably a fan of WordPress. And yes, I love WordPress too, but nothing is perfect. Wearing my different hats of web designer, web developer, writer, researcher and blogger, there are plenty of things that annoy me on a regular basis about WordPress.
- Blog Marketing: 4 Steps for Drawing Attention to Your Posts – You know you’re in a fight right? No, you won’t be throwing kicks and punches, but you are in a bloody scrap to win the attention of your customers.
- EE Conference Lineup Announced – At this year’s ExpressionEngine Conference 2014, there is a great lineup of speakers including our very own Chris Wells.
Magento and eCommerce
- Ecommerce: 3 Test Ideas to Optimize the Customer Shopping Experience – Last weekend, I was able to see the dichotomy between gathering valuable customer information and risking customer conversion play out before my very eyes.
- Merchants Can Bring Haggling to Magento Stores with New Extension – Make an offer features are popular with online shoppers looking for a bargain and are available on marketplaces such as eBay. Online merchants using eBay’s Magento store-builder can check out a new offering called Online Price Bargaining.
- How to Increase Conversion Rates For E-commerce SEO Campaigns – It’s no secret that e-commerce websites are booming in today’s modern age marketing world. In 2013, approximately $262 billion was spent on e-commerce websites which is about 13.4 percent higher than the year before, according to Internet Retailer.
- Make Your Magento Store Locators Local SEO Friendly – Online stores often have some real world physical brick and mortar stores where they sell the same products as well. Lots of Magento merchants use different store locator extensions to handle the necessary functionality.
- 12 Tips to Address Declining eCommerce Revenue – For many online retailers, business conditions are tough. What do you do when your sales are dropping and you can’t work out how to reverse the slide? Here are 12 ideas to help.
- Is Bitcoin the Future of E-Commerce? – Today, adventurous merchants are “intrigued” by bitcoin, the currency alternative. But could bitcoin eventually replace credit cards and PayPal?
- The Challenges with Magento As a New Developer – Working with Magento for the first time gave me a chance to come to grips with the many different aspects of web development and integrating those together, while at the same time learning important lessons as to how eCommerce sites are structured.
Remember when Snake was the dominant cell phone game? This video will make you more than a little bit nostalgic for those days, or not :)Posted in: Monthly Roundups