Knowing it’s hard to keep up with all the great content around the web, each month we gather up the best Magento, ExpressionEngine, and WordPress articles for your convenience. If you’re new here, these posts feature a mix of news (i.e. the release of WordPress 4.0 “Benny”), helpful articles, and just generally interesting industry happenings. Looking ahead, this month we will be attending Meet Magento New York and well as ExpressionEngine Conference at the beginning of October. If you’re at either of these events, make sure to stop by and say hello. If you’d like more great content on a day-to-day basis, follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and Google+. Enjoy and let us know if we missed anything important in the comment section. Otherwise, here’s the best from August and September.
WordPress and Blogging
- WordPress 4.0 “Benny” – Version 4.0 of WordPress, named “Benny” in honor of jazz clarinetist and bandleader Benny Goodman, is available for download or update in your WordPress dashboard.
- Automattic Acquires BruteProtect To Help Keep WordPress Users Safe – WordPress now powers so many websites, it’s no surprise that it’s a favorite target for hackers.
- 11 Cool Things You Can Do With WordPress (But You Probably Aren’t) – Over the past decade, WordPress has proven itself to be a powerful blogging platform and content managing system. In fact, that’s why the NFL, CNN, TechCrunch, and TED publish content on WordPress.
- 10 Vital WordPress Security Tips – Security should be of paramount concern to any blogger or website owner. It may seem like a tedious task, but it could protect your website from becoming a hacker’s playground.
- 9 Blogging Tools Every Blogger Should Be Using – Are you looking for blogging tools that can enhance your blog, help with your marketing and help you focus?
- Customizing WordPress Archives For Categories, Tags And Other Taxonomies – Most WordPress users are familiar with tags and categories and with how to use them to organize their blog posts. If you use custom post types in WordPress, you might need to organize them like categories and tags.
- WordPress Users Should Ensure Theme-Bundled Slider Revolution Plugins Are Up-To-Date – In a post from our own blog, we look at a recently discovered critical vulnerability that some versions of the Slider Revolution plugin contained.
- 10 Cool Things You Can Do With ExpressionEngine – Recently I saw a blog post about 11 Cool Things You Can Do With WordPress (But You Probably Aren’t). I thought it was really cool idea and figured I might try doing the same thing for ExpressionEngine but I am feeling a bit lazy today so here is my take.
- Integrating Twitter cards and Open Graph meta data into ExpressionEngine – While building out a new ExpressionEngine + Exp:resso Store module ecommerce site part of the specification was to include Twitter cards and Open Graph meta data for Facebook to ensure appropriate data is used when people post links to products on either service.
- Top 10 Things You’ll Miss if You Don’t Attend ExpressionEngine Conference 2014 – ExpressionEngine Conference 2014 promises to be an exciting and informative 3 days, where great minds come together to share their knowledge, expertise, tips, and stories.
Magento and eCommerce
- 4 Simple eCommerce Product Page Tests That Take Less Than an Hour – To buy or not to buy is the question. And a product page is where this crucial decision is made.
- Developers: 5 Things to Know About Magento – As one of the most flexible enterprise class e-commerce platforms, Magento has turned out to be a digital blessing for all those who can’t afford to pay a hefty sum of cash to specific software vendors. For developers, Magento is easy to sell as merchants can update most of an e-store’s elements themselves.
- 6 Reasons E-Commerce Websites Need a Blog – It is no secret that blogs do a lot for increasing online traffic to standard website platforms, but they also have several other benefits that specifically benefit e-commerce sites.
- Finding Bottlenecks in Your Magento Store – In the beginning, Magento was one of the biggest PHP applications. The main purpose of that platform was to cover all needs of store owners being universal and flexible.
- Facebook, Instagram Social Shopping Service Soldsie Integrates with Magento – Facebook and Instagram social shopping service Soldsie announced Tuesday that users of e-commerce platform Magento now have access to its features via the Soldsie Enterprise Edition extension for Magento, which is available as a free download via the Magento Connect extensions marketplace.
- How to Make Mobile eCommerce Convert: What’s Effective In Mobile Design Right Now – There are an almost limitless number of small usability gotchas that need to be identified and gradually refined in mobile commerce.
To end this month, we leave you with our Performance and Security Session from Magento Live UK, “The Importance of Performance & Security and Simple Steps to Achieve Them.” Enjoy!
Image via Flickr user: ** RCB **Posted in: Monthly Roundups