Since our pre-Thanksgiving roundup, we’re sure you’ve all been snowed under by Black Friday, Cyber Monday, and getting ready for the remaining holiday shopping push. In the interim, we’ve had the pleasure of attending Magento Live Australia, an event we were honored to have the opportunity to speak at (slides of which we have shared at the bottom of this post), the new WordPress 4.1, Dinah, has been released with a variety of updates, and the world of eCommerce is singularly focused on the holiday season. If you follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and Google+, you’ll you know that we like to share our favorite Magento, ExpressionEngine, and WordPress articles throughout the month. Here are the best from December. Enjoy and let us know if we missed anything important in the comment section.
WordPress and Blogging
- WordPress 4.1 is Now Available: Here’s What’s New – WordPress announced the release of version 4.1 of it’s software today, which is now available to either download or update directly from your WordPress dashboard.The new version of WordPress is code named “Dinah” in honor of jazz singer Dinah Washington.
- Clean Up Your WordPress Plugins to Avoid SoakSoak and Other Malware Threats – Watch out for SoakSoak, a new malware threat that has compromised more than 100,000 WordPress websites and led to more than 11,000 domains’ being blacklisted by Google.
- 10 Useful WordPress Functions You Might Not Know About – WordPress is full of great functions for us developers to use. We can pull post lists out of thin air, manipulate almost everything about them, grab any user we wish and display their social media connections in a jiffy.
- What To Consider When Choosing A WordPress Theme – Economists have taught us that a lot of choice is not always a good thing. Having many options can lead to “analysis paralysis” and a feeling of being overwhelmed, due to the increased effort required and the level of uncertainty in making the right choice.
- How to Use WordPress Plugins to Streamline Your Business – Are you using WordPress for business? Do you need to streamline key online business processes? With WordPress plugins, you can automate online sales, customer service, project management, email marketing and more.
- Adaptive Images in ExpressionEngine With CE Image – One of the biggest headaches of responsive design has been dealing with images. Thankfully our work on the Responsive Images Issues Community Group has resulted in a rock-solid set of elements and attributes to address all of your adaptive image needs.
- nginx Configuration for ExpressionEngine – Vector Media Group recently open sourced their nginx configuration for ExpressionEngine. The Github repository README has full instructions for installing and using nginx, including support for SSL, CE Cache, and more.
- The ExpressionEngine Add-On Addiction – At our local EE Meetup last month we had a mastermind session of sorts where we talked about ExpressionEngine and our businesses and development processes. It was a good session for sure. One thing we got to talking about was moving away from using so many third-party add-ons in EE. Sacrilege?
Magento and eCommerce
- Rethinking Mobile Engagement Online and In Store – If you missed the Rethinking Mobile Engagement Online and In-store webinar, you missed some enlightening information on best practices and lessons learned from a mobile-first redesign.
- An Introduction To E-commerce Web Design And Development – So, you’ve decided you’re finally ready to start selling your products online. Great! Now what are your next steps?
- Drone Delivery: Real or Fantasy? – I read with some interest an article on the Robotenomics blog about the feasibility of drone delivery. It’s an interesting idea, and the article makes a better case than anything I’ve seen before. But I’m still skeptical.
- Magento Extension Selection: The Good, The Bad, and the Unknown – Magento, as we all know, is a pretty comprehensive eCommerce platform that comes jam-packed with tons of standard features. That being said, Magento knows what it is…and what it is not.
- Is Slow Site Speed the Reason Ecommerce Holiday Sales Are Down? – The most recent Black Friday stats are in, and they’ve hit a staggering nearly $7 billion less than last year – in both brick and mortar and online retailers. That’s a drop of 11 percent.
- Magical Thinking: Bitcoin Gathers at Disney – The hotel is a tomb of hopeful thinking. Built in the 1980s, the single tower of the Wyndham Lake Buena Vista Hotel at Disney World juts up from the Orlando ground as if tectonic forces pushed skyward a sheet of pure, brown stucco. A soundtrack of Mickey Mouse anthems plays around the clock.
- Now You Can Buy Your Thin Mints Online, As The Girl Scouts Undertake A Tech Overhaul – Going from camping to coding, the Girl Scouts hope to boost cookie sales, but also membership and the tech skills of its members.
To end this month, we’ll leave you with the slides from our Magento Live Australia talk. Enjoy!