It’s been a busy May. We just got back from Meet Magento Netherlands and are already planning ahead for IRCE Chicago 2016 and Magento Live UK in June. For those of you who were unable to attend Magento Imagine in April, the presentations are now online, including a couple from Nexcess team members. Here’s 12 Habits Of Highly Secured Magento Merchants, from Nexcess VP of Channel Sales,Jerry Eadeh, and Optimizing Performace: Magento 2.0 Best Practices from Nexcess Magento Developer Miguel Balparda. In other important news, ExpressionEngine 3 is ready for its eCommerce moment, and WordPress bought the rights to top level domain .blog. Check out the rest of the major happenings from May below. If you’re looking for the same great articles the rest of the year, follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and Google+. Enjoy and let us know if we missed anything important in the comment section.
WordPress and Blogging
- The Start-to-Finish Guide to Optimizing Your WordPress Blog Posts [Plus a Checklist] – WordPress is the most popular content management system (CMS) in the world. There’s a good chance you’ll need to optimize or work on a website that uses WordPress, if you haven’t already! Whether you’re a business owner, designer, developer, PPC expert, SEO consultant, or writer — getting familiar with WordPress is a smart move.
- The Creator of WordPress on Why .blog was Worth $19 Million – Today the company behind WordPress.com, Automattic, revealed that it had quietly acquired the rights to run the “.blog” domain last year for a hefty $19 million. So we hopped on the phone with WordPress creator Matt Mullenweg to hear why he believes .blog was worth the price — and to find out his plan for .blog domains.
- A Quick Guide to the Terminal and Command Line Prompt for WordPress – The terminal is one of those things that seems scary for the uninitiated. It’s all text based and spits out responses you don’t understand and feels like you’re hacking the system.
- How to Connect Your WordPress Blog to Medium – Do you want more exposure for your blog content? Have you thought about cross-posting your blog content on Medium? Republishing your WordPress blog posts on Medium gives your business another incredible source of traffic to your site.
- Four Simple Tips for Improving Your WordPress Blog’s Readability – For a text-heavy medium like blogging, you’d think designers would think deeply about how the text itself looks. I’ve come across enough WordPress sites with terrible typography to know that this isn’t always the case, to the detriment of users — readability has a huge impact on user experience.
- 9 Tips to Improve the Performance of Your ExpressionEngine Website – When talking about improving the performance of ExpressionEngine, I’m referring to optimising the speed in which the website is displayed to the user.
- First Impressions of the ExpressionEngine 3 CMS – Ask any web designer/developer what their Content Management System of choice is and you are sure to get a well-reasoned and impassioned response as to why they feel their preferred CMS is the best of the best. I am no different in that regard, having long used ExpressionEngine as the CMS on both my personal website and in almost all of the client work that I do.
- ExpressionEngine 3.3.2 Released – We’ve just released ExpressionEngine 3.3.2. Here are the highlights.
- ExpressionEngine 3 E-Commerce is Here – Starting today you can get CartThrob for ExpressionEngine 3 in our store. Build content-first e-commerce sites with the most flexible CMS on the planet.
Magento and eCommerce
- All About Fraud: How Crooks Get the CVV – A longtime reader recently asked: “How do online fraudsters get the 3-digit card verification value (CVV or CVV2) code printed on the back of customer cards if merchants are forbidden from storing this information?
- Magento Developers Paradise 2016 Recap – It’s been almost a week since the Developers Paradise was held in Opatija, Croatia. But I bet all of the participants are still full of emotions and pleasant memories. We at Atwix are still digesting all the knowledge and takeaways from the event. And let me tell you, we took away a lot!
- Magento 2 — the Beginning, the Current State and What to Expect in the Future – I interviewed Max during the Developers Paradise conference and asked him to tell some interesting facts from the history of Magento 2. Also, Max shared his thoughts on the current state of the eCommerce platform and told me what to expect from the platform in the near future.
- Why the Future of E-Commerce Depends on Better Roads – In the cavernous basement of the Olympic Building, a line of boxy, dark brown delivery trucks rolls out to the early-morning streets of downtown Los Angeles, a chorus of tires squeaking across smooth concrete.
- Next Big Thing: Meet Magento World Conference – Spain, The Netherlands, Argentina, Vietnam or Germany are only some countries where the Meet Magento conferences are taking place today. What´s about one international event for bringing the best speakers, the most interesting sessions and the special spirit from each country to all of us? Sounds crazy? You don’t believe it? So join us. The Meet Magento Association will make it real.
To end this month, we leave you with the trailer for Godfrey Reggio’s classic film Koyannisqatsi reconstructed shot-by-shot with modern, watermarked stock footage.Posted in: Monthly Roundups