The holiday season has passed. Take a second and catch your breath. Done? Now it’s time to get ready for 2017. 2016 was a big year. WordPress continued to its market dominance, Magento became an independent company, ExpressionEngine 3 was released, and we added Craft CMS to our hosting offerings. We know you’re ready to make 2017 an ever bigger year. So, without further ado, jump right into the best from December below. If you’re looking for the same great articles the rest of the year, follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and Google+. Enjoy and let us know if we missed anything important in the comment section.
WordPress and Blogging
- Matt Mullenweg State of the Word, 2016 – Matt Mullenweg just completed the 2016 State of the Word, which highlights the accomplishments of the past year, and sets the direction for the year ahead for WordPress.
- WordPress 4.7 “Vaughan” – Version 4.7 of WordPress, named “Vaughan” in honor of legendary jazz vocalist Sarah “Sassy” Vaughan, is available for download or update in your WordPress dashboard. New features in 4.7 help you get your site set up the way you want it.
- How WordPress Ate The Internet in 2016 … And The World in 2017 – WordPress is the most popular CMS in the world and is used by nearly 75 million websites. According to WordPress, more than 409 million people view more than 23.6 billion pages each month and users produce 69.5 million new posts and 46.8 million new comments every month.
- The State of WordPress Security – Does WordPress really need an introduction? It is by far the most popular blogging software on the planet and it is also abused for other tasks frequently. A large percentage of the World Wide Web is WordPress.
- 20 Types of Evergreen Content that Produce Lasting Results for Your Business – I’m sure you’ve heard this stat: more than two million blog posts go live every single day. And that’s just talking about blogs. You don’t even want to start contemplating total online content including emails, landing pages, product pages, podcasts, and social media.
ExpressionEngine & Craft
- ExpressionEngine 3.4.6 and 2.11.4 Released – On the nth day of Christmas EllisLab gave to me … 2 patch releases, and a partridge in a pear tree.
- Publisher 2 Beta Now Available! – It has been a very long time coming, but it is finally here. Publisher 2 for ExpressionEngine 3 is now available for download. The Publisher 2 beta is not a free download and is not free upgrade for existing Publisher 1 customers.
- Introduction to ExpressionEngine – Join this free and informative webinar, geared towards those who are just getting to know EE v3, whether you’re evaluating it for your agency, company, or organization.
- The State of Craft: End-of-2016 Edition – Even with all its faults, 2016 was an incredible year for Craft. The CMS has now been deployed on over 22,000 unique domains. The community has grown larger, more diverse, and more helpful than ever.
- How to Install Craft CMS – Craft CMS is a system which is rapidly becoming the “go to” for web professionals. With it, you can create robust, flexible and customizable websites that are secure and simple for clients to use.
Magento and eCommerce
- How to Make the Most of Magento Events – A few months ago, I shared how to get involved in the Magento community. Part of that included a significant number of events ranging from conferences to hackathons to meetups in over 25 countries. As I mentioned at Mage Titans USA, I believe this stems from a community of innovators who tend to be lifelong learners.
- Online Shopping and E-Commerce – New technologies are impacting a wide range of Americans’ commercial behaviors, from the way they evaluate products and services to the way they pay for the things they buy.
- Are There Skeletons in Your Magento Site? – Have you ever wondered whether your Magento site is as good as it could be? Many ecommerce professionals do. Consider this: There are hundreds of Magento developers, thousands of Magento extensions, and countless ways to configure your Magento site.
- 16 Ecommerce A/B Test Ideas Backed by UX Research – Nothing works all the time on all sites. That’s why we test in the first place; to let the data tell us what is actually working. That said, we have done quite a bit of user experience on ecommerce sites and have seen some trends in terms of what generates positive experiences from a customer perspective.
- Setting Up a Persistent Shopping Cart in Magento 2.0 – A persistent shopping cart keeps track of the items a customer adds to their cart but does not purchase during their session. When the customer comes back to your store, their items are remembered and will still be in their shopping cart. When your customer is logged in, their shopping cart will follow them across devices.
- How Will AI Impact E-Commerce In 2017? – Two factors make e-commerce the perfect proving ground for artificial intelligence technologies like machine learning: e-c ommerce is highly competitive and gaining an advantage over the competition requires the rapid processing of huge amounts of data.
This month we’ll leave you with a look back to the Magento Masters’ panel at Mage Titans, which included our own Miguel Balparda.Posted in: Monthly Roundups