Since February was a short month, we’ll make this an appropriately short introduction to our monthly roundup. Nexcess developer Miguel was in Mexico talking about Magento 2 at Mage Titans Mexico in February. This coming month, members of the Nexcess team will be at Shoptalk in Las Vegas. If you’re attending, make sure to find us and say hello. Planning even further ahead, we will also be in Las Vegas for Magento Imagine at the beginning of April. We hope to see you there! Without further ado, let’s jump right into the best from February below. If you’re looking for the same great articles the rest of the year, follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and Google+. Enjoy and let us know if we missed anything important in the comment section.
WordPress and Blogging
- WordPress “Quietly” Powers 27% of the Web – Do you use WordPress? At least one out of four of you just said yes. Tech Republic takes a closer look at how they got to this level of market dominance.
- WordPress Silently Fixed Privilege Escalation Vulnerability in 4.72 Update – An example of why you always have to keep your CMS up-to-date. WordPress released a patch without letting users knows that it was for a critical vulnerability.
- Top WordPress Plugins Every Blog Should Have – Everyone has WordPress plugins that they can’t live without. Michiel Heijmans offers up his ten favorite in this post for Yoast. Any you’d add?
- Disqus Hits Sites with Unwanted Advertising – Do you want an ad-free comment experience? You’ll now have to pay for it on Disqus. Unless you’re one of the 95% of their users that Disqus says it won’t impact.
- 8 WordPress Trends that Will Impact You in 2017 – In this post, Elegant Themes takes a look at what we should express from WordPress in the year ahead.
- A Straightforward Guide to the WordPress Template Hierarchy – The WordPress template system can be a bit overwhelming for a newb. This nice tutorial from WPMUDev offers a nice breakdown.
ExpressionEngine & Craft
- An Overview of Pixel & Tonic’s Craft CMS – Are you unfamiliar with Craft CMS? In this nice post, Matthew Soyka offers a nice overview of the content management system.
- Why We Switched a Blog from HubSpot to ExpressionEngine for Better SEO – This article looks at the how and why of one agency’s decision to move a client from Hubspot to ExpressionEngine.
- ExpressionEngine 3 vs. WordPress – WordPress is the most popular content management system out there by a long shot. So, how does the newest version of ExpressionEngine compare. Omaha Media Group takes a closer look.
- Why We Love Craft CMS – In this article, Michael Walsh breaks down his favorite parts of Craft CMS.
- ExpressionEngine 3.5.3 and 2.11.7 Released – This most recent update from ExpressionEngine slipped into early March, but we figured we’d include it anyway.
Magento and eCommerce
- State of the Merchant Report – In this nice survey, eCommerceFuel reached out to hundreds of store owners to get a sense of the state of the eCommerce industry in 2016.
- Improvements to Magento’s Extension Quality Program – A requirement of admission to the Magento Marketplace is that extensions undergo a quality control process. Here’s how that process just got a bit more thorough.
- How to Clean a Hacked Magento Site – A hacked site is every Magento store owner’s worst nightmare. This nice guide from Sucuri looks at how to return your site to a pristine state.
- 4 Things to Consider When Selecting Magento 2 Payment Gateway Integrations – Customer payment is a pretty big consideration for any business setting up a Magento store. Tony Brown offers up his advice in this post for Space48.
- Moving Your Magento Store From HTTP to HTTPS – Over half of Internet traffic is now protected by HTTPS. If you haven’t made the move yet, it’s time. Our friends at Shero Designs walk you through the process.
- How Will AI Impact E-Commerce In 2017? – In a post for WHIR, we look at the ways that AI will have an impact on eCommerce in the year ahead.
This month instead of leaving you with one video, we’ll leave you with a collection of videos. Feel free to get started with OS Training’s Introduction to Magento 2 course here.Posted in: Monthly Roundups