April was a big month. A large Nexcess contingent went out to Las Vegas for Magento Imagine 2017. Fifteen Nexcessers spent 135 total hours on the Marketplace floor at the conference. Read up on our key takeaways here! We were also honored to support and be involved with the Digital Divas Conference at Eastern Michigan. Only 12 out of every 100 jobs in IT, information assurance and cybersecurity are filled by women. We’re proud to be working to change this! Without further ado, let’s jump right into the best from April below. If you’re looking for the same great articles the rest of the year, follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and Google+. Enjoy and let us know if we missed anything important in the comment section.
WordPress and Blogging
- WordPress: The Smart Person’s Guide – A nice introductory look at WordPress for beginners from Tech Republic.
- Jetpack 4.8: The Settings Redesign You’ve Been Waiting For – Jetpack fans should be happy. A new version has arrived. Here’s a look at what’s new.
- The Ultimate Guide to Accessibility and WordPress – Is your WordPress site accessible? This guide from WPMUDev can help you make sure your site is reaching everyone.
- The Step-By-Step Process To Properly Test Your WordPress Website Before Updating It – You can just hit ‘update’ on your WordPress site and never think about it again. But you shouldn’t. In this post, Codeable explains why.
- 20 Minutes to a Secure WordPress Website – WordPress is not inherently insecure. It’s not inherently secure either. WordFence has some simple steps you can take to protect your site.
- Say hello to WooCommerce 3.0 “Bionic Butterfly” – WooCommerce 3.0 is here. This post from the company blog takes a look at what you should expect.
Content Management Systems
- The Content Management System of The Future – In this post, Digital Surgeons looks at the evolution of content management systems. Meet content management frameworks.
- Why We Develop Websites Using Craft CMS – Abstrakt writes about their reasons for choosing to develop sites using Craft CMS.
- CMS Battle for Beginners: WordPress vs Joomla vs Drupal (Infographic) – This infographic compares the pros and cons of the big three of content management systems, WordPress, Joomla!, and Drupal.
- Joomla! 3.7 is HERE – The most recent release from Joomla! has arrived. The Joomla! Project has the rundown of what’s new.
- ExpressionEngine 3.5.6 and 2.11.9 Released – A couple of minor security updates and a few ‘Easter Eggs’ in the latest release from ExpressionEngine.
Design and Development
- Designing for the Appearance of Speed – Speed is a huge factor in conversion rate. Bill Chung explains how design can impact a customer’s perception of speed.
- Why Do IoT Companies Keep Building Devices with Huge Security Flaws? – This post from Harvard Business Review looks at the security problems with the Internet of Things and explains why it’s time for the companies making these devices to get proactive.
- Why ‘Mobile First’ May Already Be Outdated – In this post, Paul Adams explains why you need to design for screens, not devices.
Magento and eCommerce
- Magento Training: Take the Right Course – Looking for some Magento training? Aheadworks takes a look at the current landscape.
- Magento Coding Standards and Code Review in The Real World – A nice look at how Shero Designs manages and reviews code.
- Experiences of running Magento 1 on PHP 7 – Magento 2 and PHP 7 are a winning combo, but what about Magento 1 and PHP 7? Inchoo shares their experiences.
- How to Create an Omnichannel Customer Experience with Magento 2 – Space 48 explains how to integrate all of your channels and the online and offline commerce experience with Magento 2.
- The Highest-Spending E-Commerce Customers Are Seeing Stars—Star Ratings, That Is – MarketingProfs explains why customers thinks stars are the leader of the pack when it comes to rating systems for eCommerce.
- What in the World Is Causing the Retail Meltdown of 2017? – The Atlantic investigates the current retail meltdown and finds a couple of big culprits. Eating out and eCommerce.
This month we leave you with the official Magento Imagine 2017 wrap-up video.Posted in: Monthly Roundups