We hope everyone has a nice Fourth of July weekend and is ready to get back to work. June was a busy month for the Nexcess team. We started the month off at IRCE 2017 in Chicago. If you missed us there, check out our recap. From there, it was on to London and Magento Live UK 2017. All this while, our Magento traveler Miguel has been darting around Europe, speaking at Mage Titans Italy and Mage Titans ES, as well as Meet Magento Serbia. If you missed him, don’t worry, he’ll be back on stage again soon. So with the Nexcess portion of the roundup, let’s get to the content. If you’re looking for the same great articles the rest of the year, follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and Google+. Enjoy and let us know if we missed anything important in the comment section.
WordPress and Blogging
- The “Traveler” Rules of WordPress Plugin Management – In this post, Mario Ricalde offers her advice on how to use plugins responsibly and save yourself some site headaches.
- How to Find the Best (and Most Trustworthy) WordPress Themes – There are a lot of WordPress themes out there and they aren’t all created equal. This WPMUDev post guides you through the process of choosing a theme.
- WordPress 4.9 to Focus on Managing Plugins and Themes, Gutenberg Targeted for 5.0 – WordPress 4.8 is out. WPTavern looks ahead to what to expect in WordPress 4.9 and 5.0.
- We Analyzed 100 Million Headlines. Here’s What We Learned (New Research) – Headlines are of the utmost importance to any blog post. Buzzsumo broke down the data to help you find the key factors in successful headlines.
- Blogging: The Ultimate Guide – You want to start blogging? So, now what? From getting started to maintaining, this helpful guide from Marieke van de Rakt links to every article you could need.
Content Management Systems
- What to Consider When Purchasing a Web CMS – There’s no “best” content management system. There is a best CMS for you. In this post, a collection of industry experts offer their advice on how to make an educated choice.
- The Drupal System that Carries the Most Commercial Transactions Ever – Thinking about using Drupal for eCommerce? Here’s a nice little case study.
- The Ten Commandments of a New Drupal 8 Site for Enterprise Developers – Here’s the insight that one developer has learned from working with a variety of different Drupal builds over the last couple of years.
- Plan for the Joomla! 3.8 Release – Joomla! 3.8 is coming. Here’s a look at the release roadmap and new features you can expect.
- ExpressionEngine 3.5.10 Released – With a couple of security improvements and some bug fixes, you should update when possible.
Design and Development
- A Complete Guide To Switching From HTTP To HTTPS – Have you made the switch to HTTPS yet? This guide from Smashing Magazine will walk you through the process.
- What is the average website lifespan? 10 Factors In Website Life Expectancy – The decision to redesign a site is a big one. In this post, Andy Crestodina offers up a few factors to consider as you decide whether it is the right time.
- That Shiny New Developer Job is Going to Involve a Lot of Rusty Old Code – Matt Asay has some a nice wake-up call for new developers. “The majority of any developer’s time is necessarily spent maintaining old code. Get used to it.”
Magento and eCommerce
- Magento CEO: Amazon Changed The Game, but Retailers Should be Optimistic – Amazon is on the minds of a lot of small to medium eCommerce store owners. Here’s why Mark Lavelle says you shouldn’t be worried.
- A Comprehensive Guide to Identifying the Right Payment Gateway for your Magento Store – Including extensions, Magento supports more than ninety payment gateways. i95Dev brings some clarity to the task with this nice guide.
- How to Plan Your Timeline for a Magento 2 Migration – Finally ready to start thinking about that move to Magento 2. Take a look at this migration timeline from Gauge Interactive to get a better feel for what you’re looking at.
- Amazon Will Start Selling Nike Shoes Directly for the First Time – Nike is finally ending their Amazon boycott. They’re not doing it for the new sales platform though. They’re doing it crack down on counterfeiting.
- Our 6 Must Reads On Pricing a Product – Pricing a product can be a make or break moment for many eCommerce companies. First Round Review offers up the best advice they’ve seen on the topic over the years.
- What will Brexit Mean for your Cross-Border E-Commerce? – The UK’s Brexit decision had a lot of international eCommerce sellers wondering what the impact would be. Here’s a closer look.
This month we leave you with an important question: Why Nexcess? Jerry sat down with TJ from Jamersan at IRCE 2017 and answered just that.Posted in: Monthly Roundups