Contact
Site: US UK AU |
Nexcess Blog

Posts by: Jay Dobry

Getting Started with Drupal 8

March 29, 2019 0 Comments RSS Feed

Getting Started with Drupal 8So you’ve weighed your choices and decided Drupal is the best fit for you!

As discussed in our recent Drupal Vs WordPress Cagematch, it takes a developer skill set to get the most out of Drupal. Even so, it can be worthwhile to explore Drupal and get an idea of what it has to offer. Or, perhaps you’re a developer-in-training looking to dip your toes into the CMS ocean.

This is part 1 of a short series designed to show you the basics of installing, updating, and backing up Drupal 8. Read more

Posted in: Drupal

Tags:

4 Reasons to House Clean Your Database

November 2, 2017 0 Comments RSS Feed

5 Reasons to House Clean Your Database

Databases are bedrooms.

When tidy, you can find your socks, shoes, cellphone, and everything else you need within minutes. But when cluttered, it takes 10 minutes to remember your left your shoes on the stairs, and 10 more minutes to remember you left your cell in your shoes because your hands were full at the time.

Read more

Posted in: Webmaster

Nexcess Grill-Off Recap

August 21, 2017 0 Comments RSS Feed

Nexcess Grill-OffIf only summer could last forever.

August is the season’s swan song, heralded by back-to-school sales and even the occasional Halloween display (madness!).

At Nexcess, we aren’t ready to say goodbye to our favorite season until Labor Day, which is why we host our annual Grill-Off at our headquarters in Southfield, Michigan. Now in its fourth year, we expanded the event by inviting clients and neighbors to celebrate summer with us while raising money for a fantastic cause.

Read more

Posted in: Nexcess

Money War News

May 17, 2017 1 Comment RSS Feed

Nexcess Money WarFrom the journal of wartime correspondent Jay Dobry, who served with near-distinction in the Second Annual Nexcess Money War.

For those who aren’t Money War historians, this annual event divides Nexcess into six teams. Each team picks a charity, then Overseer/Billing Manager Jackie assigns a container to each team. In Week 1, teams score positive points values for any money put into their container, so teams tend to donate to their own tubs.

Scores are tallied, then in Week 2, teams score negative points for any money dropped into their containers, so teams usually donate to other teams’ collections. After week 2, the winning team’s charity receives 75 percent of bounty, and Nexcess matches the amount. The “losing” teams’ charities divvy up the remaining 25 percent.

The charities:

After some drama and playful mischief in first war, the containers are now locked down by 24-hour camera surveillance, lava pits, and feral robo-monkeys.

Read more

Posted in: Nexcess

Are dedicated IP addresses still necessary?

January 26, 2016 2 Comments RSS Feed

The short answer: probably, but not for the reasons many still believe. Not any more, at least.

“Once upon a time” in eCommerce equals about 18 to 24 months. Once up a time, if your site needed a SSL certificate to process credit card transactions, you needed a dedicated IP address. Once upon a time, it was believed a dedicated IP address might make your site faster and rank higher.

And to this day, we sometimes still hear the same mantra. If you sell online, it’s just “better” to have a dedicated IP address. Never mind why, it’s just better. Because eCommerce, or something.

Read more

Posted in: Nexcess

Magento 2 and PHP 7 Availability

December 31, 2015 3 Comments RSS Feed

Magento 2Magento 2 and PHP 7 are now available, and we are ready to host them! Read on for answers to your most pressing questions regarding their availability.

Can I just upgrade my store to Magento 2?
No. Unfortunately, there is no upgrade path from Magento 1.x to Magento 2. You will need to recreate your store, and we strongly recommend you fully test your Magento 2 store in a development environment before shutting down your Magento 1.x store.

Read more

Posted in: Magento, Nexcess